H-1B Employees

The University’s highly qualified and distinguished H-1B faculty and staff manage dynamic research, lead powerful conversations in the classroom, and bring rich perspectives to a variety of units on campus.
Departments can find information about supporting employees and initiating requests here.

Responsibilities of H-1B Employees

Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification

H-1B employees are required to present their employment authorization documents to Human Resources (Grace Hall) within three calendar days of their start date. The H-1B Approval Notice (Form I-797) and a valid passport serve as Acceptable List A Documents for I-9 purposes.

The I-9 must be completed when an H-1B employee transfers from another institution. Please note for an H-1B transfer, the I-9 cannot be completed until an H-1B petition is filed by Notre Dame. HR will not accept a Form I-797 unless the petitioner listed is Notre Dame. H-1B employees who have an approved extension of the H-1B employment must also complete the I-9 again.

NDI Check-in

In addition to the I-9, it's important to complete the NDI International Employee Check-in when the employee has arrived on campus to begin employment. 

Changes in Work Conditions

If there are changes to salary, work location, or other details documented in the petition, ISSA may need to take action to ensure the employee maintains the H-1B status and the employment authorization is valid. Generally, the department will reach out to ISSA to communicate changes, but the employee should also be aware of the impact of these changes and work with the department to ensure they are maintaining status.

Address Changes

If the H-1B employee has any change of U.S. residential address, they are required to notify USCIS within 10 days by filing Form AR-11. Form AR-11 can be completed online here: https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do.


Is this change of address for an application or petition currently in progress?
For this question, choose "No" if the application/petition currently in progress was signed by the University of Notre Dame, such as an I‑129. Choose "Yes" if the application/petition currently in progress was signed by you, such as an I‑539, I‑765, or I‑485.

I am in the United States as a:
For this question, check the box marked “Other.” Enter your current visa status (such as H-1B, TN, E-3, or O-1) on the line.

A-number (copy number from alien card)
If you have ever obtained an Employment Authorization Document (also called an EAD card) from US Citizenship and Immigration Services, enter the number from the card here. Otherwise leave this space blank.

Valid Documents

Your passport and the passports of any dependent family members must be valid at all times. An expired passport means you are out of status. Be sure to keep the I-797 Approval notice safely filed, as well as the original documents needed for the petition (e.g. copies of diplomas/transcripts, education evaluations, position posting, appointment letter, etc). They may be necessary for any extension or future petitions.


If the employee (and/or their dependents) will leave the U.S. during the appointment, they must be certain they have a valid H-1B (or H-4 dependent) visa stamp from a U.S. consulate or embassy before attempting to re-enter the U.S. In addition to a valid passport and H-1B visa stamp, we advise that H-1B employees carry the original H-1B approval notice (or copy), recent pay stubs, and a copy of the appointment letter.

Visa Renewal

If the visa is expired and the employee will exit the U.S., they will need to apply for a new visa. For instructions on securing a new visa, see Applying for H-1B Visa page.

Work Authorization

H-1B employees are prohibited from accepting employment outside of the Notre Dame department that hosts them, unless they also have an approved I-797 with that employer.


H-1B visa holders are considered resident aliens for tax purposes and are subject to FICA (Social Security and Medicare withholding) and therefore are eligible for the same tax rates, exemptions and deductions as US citizens.


H-1B employees should notify ISSA of their departure (and the permanent departure of any dependents) or transfer to another institution via the NDI Employee Departure form (link coming soon).