On Campus Employment

Working on campus at Notre Dame can provide many valuable opportunities for F-1 and J-1 students. While the regulations for these visa types overlap in some ways, the primary difference is when they require authorization to work on campus:

All J-1 student employment requires prior written approval from ISSA; this includes employment related to funding (fellowships and grants) or regular on campus work (assistantships, research, dining hall, library, etc). 
F-1 students are permitted to work on campus without written authorization during the program dates listed on page 1 of their I-20.

On-campus employment includes teaching, research, and graduate assistantships, as well as employment conducted in other offices at Notre Dame where a stipend or paycheck will be issued by the University. Outside companies that issue their own paychecks and do not have a contractual agreement with the University are not considered on-campus employers and F-1 students are not permitted to work for such employers.

Some examples of employers that are not currently permitted for F-1 or J-1 students include:

  • the Notre Dame Bookstore,
  • Innovation or Ignition Park,
  • the Observer, and
  • on campus FedEx office.

If you will be employed at the IDEA Center, please contact ISSA to confirm the employment is considered on campus.

Hour Limits for On Campus Employment

Both F-1 and J-1 students are subject to limitations on employment that allows up to 20 hours of on campus work while school is in session. For each winter, spring, summer, and fall break on the University's academic calendar, students may work more than 20 hours a week; generally the start of the week for break purposes is the first Saturday and ends with the final Friday. For example, students may work more than 20 hours the week of fall break, starting the first Saturday and ending the Friday.

Students are not eligible to work more than 20 hours during Thanksgiving break or Easter break.


F-1 Students Authorization

An F-1 student is permitted to work part-time on the campus of the institution that issued the student’s current I-20. Notre Dame students who maintain lawful immigration status are permitted to engage in employment on campus for up to 20 total hours per week while school is in session — during the fall and spring semesters. The 20-hour limit applies to the total of all employment.

No prior written approval from ISSA is required for an F-1 student to engage in on-campus employment if the student is still working toward the educational objective indicated on the student’s I-20 and has otherwise maintained his or her status.

Conditions and limitations for F-1 on-campus employment
  • Working on campus for more than 20 hours per week total while school is in session is a serious violation of the F-1 status, which can affect your ability to remain in the United States. 
  • Full-time on-campus employment (more than 20 hours per week) is only permitted during annual vacations.
  • The 20-hour per week limit applies to the total of all on-campus employment if more than one job is held. 
  • New F-1 students who have just arrived in the U.S. are not permitted to begin any on-campus employment more than 30 days prior to the program start date listed on the I-20. 
  • Students who have graduated or completed all degree requirements and wish to work on campus must be authorized for Optional Practical Training (OPT) and have a valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD Card) from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

J-1 Student Authorization

All types of J-1 student employment require prior approval from ISSA on the Form DS-2019, which can be requested through ISSAlink.

It is the J-1 students responsibility to ensure they have appropriate authorization before beginning employment; failure to do so may result in termination of the J-1 record.

  • Students must be in good academic standing at Notre Dame.
  • Students must be engaged and continue to engage in a full course of study as defined by the academic program.
  • Employment is limited to no more than 20 hours per week total during the regular fall and spring semesters.
  • Students may work more than 20 hours per week only during vacation periods and annual breaks, such as summer.
  • Students are not permitted to continue on-campus employment after completion of the degree program or academic objective indicated on form DS-2019.
  • Employment Authorization for Academic Training is required to continue employment on-campus in J-1 status after completion of the academic program.
  • Employment authorization can be only be granted for 12 months at a time but may be renewed annually.
  • Employment authorization automatically ends when the academic program ends or the student withdraws.
  • To qualify for off-campus employment for economic necessity, the student must be able to provide evidence that there is a “serious, urgent and unforeseen” need.


*Important note for graduate students

The work performed as a research assistant is not only part of a larger research program, but also supports the student's dissertation research or preparation for that research, and is in satisfaction of the degree requirement. For this reason, the commitment to research assistantship duties of a student is considered 18 hours per week, but  the research is expected to be more significant as it is integral to the student's dissertation and preparation for the dissertation.  

Finding an On Campus Job

On-campus job openings are posted on the Student Employment Office website. Any Notre Dame F-1 or J-1 student considering employment on campus outside of a Notre Dame administrative office must consult with ISSA to ensure that they have proper authorization prior to beginning employment.

If you plan to work on campus, please remember it is your responsibility to present the correct documents. visit the Payroll Office in 724 Grace Hall or email fntax@nd.edu for assistance completing any necessary forms or questions regarding your tax withholdings, tax treaties, etc. Please note, you will not be extended any tax treaty privileges until you have been issued your Social Security Number and fill out the appropriate forms.

Social Security Number and On Campus Employment

All students who plan to work in the U.S. should obtain a U.S. Social Security number for employment and taxation purposes. Details about the social security card application can be found on the Social Security Numbers page here, but those students who will acquire an SSN based on campus employment should do immediately after securing the position.