Study and Research Abroad

Information on this page is intended for those F-1 and J-1 students who are traveling outside of the United States to pursue research or study abroad towards their Notre Dame degree and will continue to maintain full-time enrollment at Notre Dame during the spring or fall semester.

In these circumstances, the student is able to keep their F-1/J-1 student record ACTIVE, even while abroad. (Please note that exceptions may apply for study abroad programs that are not hosted through Notre Dame’s Study Abroad office; contact with questions.)

  • If a student is traveling through a Notre Dame International Study Abroad program, the Study Abroad team will confirm your participation with the ISSA team after registration. 
  • If a student is NOT traveling abroad through a Notre Dame International Study Abroad program, they must complete travel registration in the Travel Registry system

Be sure to continue reading ISSA’s emails to stay apprised of any updates or reminders that may impact you upon your return to the United States.


  • Check the validity of all immigration documents before returning to the U.S.
  • F-1 students studying or researching abroad in their final semester MUST apply for OPT from within the United States.
  • Personal travel abroad does not need to be reported.