FAQs for J-1 Exchange Visitor Scholars

The Notre Dame community continues to work collectively to do all they can to support current and new international students and scholars. We have addressed frequently asked questions below for J-1 Exchange Visitors in the Short-term Scholar, Research Scholar, and Professor categories, but please contact us at issa@nd.edu with additional questions that are not addressed below.

New J-1 Exchange Visitors

I just arrived in the US. When should I attend a new Scholar Welcome Session and validate my DS-2019 record?

Welcome to the University of Notre Dame! Please contact Cynthia Reeves at issa@nd.edu to schedule a Scholar Welcome Session, where you will validate your DS-2019 record.

I am a prospective scholar/employee. Should I still come to the University of Notre Dame?

ISSA continues to process all scholar requests, and we will advise you on how to prepare to apply for the National Interest Waiver, if applicable.  The U.S. Department of State recently announced that beginning November 8, 2021, fully vaccinated travelers will be allowed to enter the U.S. with proof of vaccine and negative test. Please review this information before making your travel plans. If your arrival will be delayed due to travel restrictions or visa processing delays, please inform your department and ISSA.

Current J-1 Exchange Visitors

How can I get an updated travel signature?

You have two options. You can bring your current DS-2019 to 105 Main during walk-in hours (Monday-Wednesday, 2-4pm) to request the updated travel signature. Or, you can request an updated DS-2019 in ISSAlink.nd.edu with the Request New DS-2019 form. Once your request has been approved, we will advise you to pick it up at 105 Main.  

If I am working remotely within the U.S., should I update ISSA?

All address changes must be reported to USCIS within 10 days of the change. If you are on a J visa and have remained in the U.S., but are not living at the same address you previously reported, go to ISSAlink.nd.edu and fill out a “Change of US Address” form in the J-1 Scholar Services folder. If you are now working remotely, please email issa@nd.edu to report this change.

I am a J-1 Scholar who is finishing my program early and returning home. Is there anything I need to do?

You should coordinate any early departure (leaving before the end of your appointment / DS-2019 end date) with your Notre Dame department. Once a departure plan has been established, fill out the “Scholar or Dependent Departure” form at ISSAlink.nd.edu to let ISSA know so that we can update your SEVIS record.

I plan to end my time at the University of Notre Dame. What should I do?

Keep in mind that you do have a 30-day grace period after your current program end date with which to leave the U.S. Please complete the "Scholar or Dependent Departure" form, and make arrangements to exit the U.S. by the end of your 30 day grace period.